Thursday, October 20, 2011

VHS HALLOWEEN - DAY TWENTY: THE BROOD (NELSON ENTERTAINMENT - 1979)

I would lament to count the numerous occasions where some dipshit with an ironic mustache has ambled up to me at a bar and said, "so, I hear you like movies. I like Lynch and Cronenberg." And then when I ask if they've seen "The Brood" they furrow their brow and say, "no, who did that one?"

Cronenberg is a name that a lot of hipster cinema twerps have latched onto because it has cult value. Few of these people have actually seen anything he's done outside of "Videodrome," though, and they probably only saw that because James Woods name-dropped it on "Family Guy" or some bullshit. I can't stand these Romulan assholes.

I can't really go too in depth with respect to this film's plot without ruining it. This is a ride that unfolds as it goes along. I can tell you this much: like all good horror, it's powered by the vein of satire. Most likely conceived of at the height of new ageism and self help philosophy, the story focuses on the dangers of modern guru type characters and just how harmful their tampering can be. Basically, it's a big middle finger to that whole fad, portraying it as actually being unintentionally hilarious at times. The film stars Oliver Reed -- always the ear mark of quality and intensity.

My advice, see it, but go in fresh. Avoid reading anything extensive about it. The payoff will be well worth it. Truly a great horror film.


No comments:

Post a Comment