Saturday, October 22, 2011

VHS HALLOWEEN - DAY TWENTY-TWO: THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK

Super short on time today, so I'll have to keep this brief. I'm a big fan of Charles B. Pierce, and in fact I believe him to be one of the most distinct American directors of all time. I was probably five the first time I saw "The Legend of Boggy Creek," and I was genuinely creeped out by it at the time. Several decades later, and I still remain fond toward this little film even though I view it as being purely campy now. The film is sort of a pseudo-documentary about a Bigfoot-like creature in Fouke, Arkansas. Presenting its case for the existence of the monster through a mixture of documentary footage and dramatizations, this movie undoubtedly had a profound impact on television, and probably inspired the Leonard Nimoy narrated "In Search Of..." program as well as "Unsolved Mysteries."


Two crumby but fun sequels followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment